Tips to control the wire worm
Its scientific name is Agriotes spp, although these names commonly know it: wireworm, alambrillo, doradilla, orovivo, brad, and so on.
This pest threatens the quality of the harvest, and this causes impacting negatively on the value of production.
The longevity of beetle larvae can live up to four years and usually develop in moist soil, so it affects the beans, vines, potatoes, corn, beets or beets, lettuce, cabbage, onion, coffee, cotton, rice, radish …
What harm worm causes the wire?
Wireworm produces two different types of damage according to the time. This means that often strikes younger plants while in summer and autumn, tend to attack the roots, bulbs, and tubers in the spring.
What do they do?
Holing roots and tubers and feed on outbreaks of plant growth, called buds. Even usually, they eat the seeds.
What are their characteristics?
The species of wireworms are varied, but all have similar characteristics. Therefore, for practical purposes is not a precise distinction.
18-20 larvae are mm and have a cylindrical shape, flat and elongated. His body is hard, has three thoracic legs, and its color is yellow, orange, brownish.
The beetle has a dark color and is often called scarab click, as when threatened jumps to produce that sound.
This is elongated and flattened and fed only pollen, moving from flower to flower by flight.
How to get rid of wireworm?
When the cold arrives, wireworm seeks refuge and early spring back out. One of the best weapons to combat orovivo is through prevention.
However, there are many methods to get rid of the worm wire. Take note!
- Crop rotation: the idea is to plant much less desirable plants to then plant the most vulnerable crops.
- Solarization: apply manure, moisten with water, and covering the ground with plastic sealed dark color. This will cause the heat of fermentation to remove the wireworms.
- Follow: unplanted leaves the ground for a couple of months; if possible, do it in the summer, because heat kills the pest.
- Arar: try to plow the ground for worms that are fully exposed to the sun.
- Acquires traps with pheromones and food baits.
- Agricultural lime added to the soil, as do not fancy this element.
- Control weeds.
- Birds, frogs, moles, hedgehogs, Carabidae beetles, centipedes, toads, and shrews fight the worm wire.
- To combat the larvae of wireworms, you can make use of snuff solution, by soaking 200g snuff leaves in a liter of water for ten days. Then diluted in five liters of water and sprayed.
- Potatoes trap: if you’ve seen the wireworms in your crop, an excellent way to control them is through traps potatoes. This is done by cutting one or two vegetables in half, then bury them, so they go to the potatoes and thus can remove them.
- To capture these worms fills a cut bottle (which will have to make holes previously) with cereal grains such as wheat or maize mixed with a substrate. Leave on the plot on the floor and remove it every ten days, counting the number of worms captured.